Saturday, March 27, 2010

a million articles on your ipod touch

So, I'm late to the blogging (and reading others blogs) game with EMS.  I've been in the bicycling blogging community in my fair city, and before that myspace (eww, we could just forget about that).  I spend a lot of time reading the back posts.

I've been trying to catch up, because I truly love all of the medical knowledge contained in the stories of the bloggers I follow.  I love reading Peter Canning's stories about naloxone, adenosine, epi and other drugs.  When I'm in class and my instructor starts to talk about it -- I've got a leg up.  I think about the patient in his story "That Narcan Shit" and have a vivid reminder of the effects and side effects, and why it should be titrated to bring the breathing up (so they live) but not to slam it in full dose.

So there's this great app/website called Instapaper.  It's really genious.  You add a little bookmark to your list of bookmarks.  Then, whenever you get to a really awesome article/blogpost but think "darn, I don't have time to read this right now" you can click your special "Read Later" bookmark.

Through some crazy magical techie wizardry, the Instapaper machine turns that article/post into a nicely formatted, advertisements removed, newspaper-style article for you to read later.  All of these articles get queued up on your iPhone/iPod Touch, or (as of next week), the iPad, or your Kindle, or you can go login on the Instapaper site and see a list of all the article's you've saved.

I guess in the Pro version (which I'm buying next week, since it's got new features etc for the iPad which is already ordered) you can share articles with other people, and it has this really cool looking tilt to scroll.  You just lean your device forward to scroll down the page, or lean it back to scroll back up.  I usually do a ton of article reading on my Blackberry and on my old one I think I wore out the spacebar and trackball from reading so much.

Now, instead of grabbing my blackberry and hoping to find something good to read when I've got time to kill, I can grab my iPod and KNOW that I'll have tons of great articles to read.