Sunday, August 28, 2011

starting the #juicefast

Today (well, 90 minutes ago ) I started my juicefast. I kicked it off with

A) McDonalds - burger and fries
B) Going for a run.

I figure that a burger and fries is a pretty iconic last meal.

I love the Nike GPS app on my iPhone - it does such a great job showing you speed, time, maps, etc etc. My running was longer and faster than its been in forever, plus the voices at the end of your run are great (so far I've had Lance Armstrong, Paula Radcliffe and Dirk Nowitzki congratulating me.

In other news, I'm really liking apple, cucumber, pear, lemon, lime, ginger in my juices... orange/carrot is really good too. I really don't like it when the juice is too thick-- I am going to look for a strainer of some sort I think to keep it thin and watery. The past week of easing into juicing, trying recipes, learning some tricks etc is totally the way to go IMHO.

In paramedic news - I learned 2 really cool tricks this past week

1- an alcohol swab under the patient's nose can help put off the puking -- it doesn't fix the problem, but can buy some time to get anti-emetics (zofran!) on board.
2- when moving a patient to a long board for spinal precautions, a blanket can be a great aid. If the patient is sitting on the ground (like our patient was Friday), put the board directly behind their butt with the blanket on top of the board (folded over in half). Lay the patient down onto the board, then slide them up using the blanket (still hold C-spine and use good spinal precautions)

One of the perks of the system I work for - we have a bunch of medics, some flight medics, with 10-20 years of experience that we get to work with (see tips above)