Saturday, August 20, 2011

writing and juicing

So I didn't end up writing any more during internship. 3 12s as a paramedic intern and 3 12s as a tech in the hospital was too much - that was a terribly difficult 2 months. After that was finished in February we had another round of tests at school, the final, then a week of prep for National Registry practicals. Then in late February I took the National Registry written test and after 70 some horribly horribly difficult questions the test put me out of my misery.

oh way, I had to wait 24 hours to find out my results -- THAT was the misery.

Well I passed, then went and found a job as a medic. Our service does 911 and transfers, most of my weeks are about 2 transfers for every 911 call. The great part of the transfers is having a lot of time to research medications, read the physician's H&P, study lab values and look up everything on the internet on my iPhone. All of that is great! Plus, after the patient contact portion is done you're just drivin down the road chatting with your partner (and 95% of my partners are great fun to talk with. 1 is a total bitch)

Not terribly related, but, well, sort of related is a quest for improved health. I watched the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and it struck a chord. I bought a juicer earlier tonight (after quite a search in town) and got started, first with a "Mean Green" and then an orange-carrot. Both were totally drinkable, say, 5/10 but I'm guessing in a week or two of palette changing they'll taste great.

In order to make sure I have something to talk about I'm going to blog the juicefast (and weight loss/health changes).

My goals

30 days of juicefast
30 pounds of weight loss
my nagging little health issue fixed
happiness (although i'm pretty happy all the time anyway)

this starts on the 27th. This next week I'm going to try to replace about half my meals with juice and no more soda -- get the caffeine detox done this week.

Matt